Friday, October 10, 2008

Article I wrote for Natural Awakenings Magazine...


Organic sleep? When I first told many of my friends that I was going to open an organic sleep shop I was mostly greeted with a scoff or a chuckle, “Organic bedding? What in the world is that?” I know when we think organic we think clothes or food, but sleep?

Yes, believe it or not organic sleep systems are out there and are much, much better for your overall health. Think about it. You spend 1/3rd of your life asleep (at least your supposed to) and how you act, your mood, your motor skills, your memory and cognitive abilities are all affected by how much sleep you get each night and not only that but how well you sleep.

Normal status quo innerspring mattresses, polyurethane products and synthetic latex products are all made with petroleum, harmful flame retardant chemicals, gassy odor free chemicals such as TDI which you cannot see but you do inhale, synthetic fillers, allergy causing pesticides and other chemicals that are harmful to both consumers and the environment. We breathe these chemicals all night as the mattress “off gasses”. I do not know all of the exact implications of these chemicals but I do know that what we breathe has long term implications on our health.

The more natural the product is without so much involvement from man made chemicals the better it is for us (organic latex and other organic foams are actually much more durable and ergonomically more supportive than any innerspring mattress). Organic Sleep solutions are spring free and pressure free allowing you to sleep all night without tossing and turning (Through increased circulation), and they are also motion free.

I have lived in Ringgold for all of my life and I have opened a very unique bedding store in Hamilton Place Mall that is one of the first organic sleep stores in the country. Come by and visit with me. I am interested to know what you think about “organic sleep”.

Wesley Gaier
Owner of The Green Mattress Company
Dedicated to fairness both to the consumer and the enviroment
Inside Hamilton Place Mall upstairs beside The Gap and Belk for Men.
http://www.greenmattresscompany.com
1-423-296-6606

No comments: